Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What the fuck is tableware?

So I thought that I would start a wedding blog because my fiance and I set a date today. We are getting married on June 12th 2010. That's 311 days from today. It's kind of weird that we finally set a date. I asked Stacy to marry me in early April and we had a date penciled in for about a year from then but we decided to hold off until we could plan a little more and get some place booked.

We had looked at a ton of places in the Bay Area where we live but everything we found and loved was too expensive. We have a budget of $10,000. I know that seems like a ton of money but weddings are seriously ridiculously expensive. And the super shitty thing is that anything you could get for a wedding that isn't specifically for the wedding is so much more expensive once you tell people it is for a wedding.

I really wanted to have the wedding in the Bay Area. So did Stacy but her folks suggested looking around down south where we grew up. She was more willing to do that then I was. I am finding out that wedding stuff is super different for guys. It takes me 24 - 48 hours longer then her to get into anything about the wedding a lot of the time. After that time I am down but before that I am either passive or straight up against whatever the idea is. But I am trying to get better about that.

So we went down to Santa Barbara to check out the Lobero Theater. Stacys dad is the assistant technical director there so we sort of have a hook up. The original plan was to have the wedding outside and the reception in the same area. I had never seen the place but Stacy had. At first I could not wrap my head around how we would be able to pull it off with the space that was there. There were also restrictions on the date, the time, the space we could use to get ready. I was feeling like we were going to be going back home with no progress. Then Stacy asked if we could rent out the whole theater and get married on stage.

We went in and looked at the stage and asked Stacys dad to ask about it for us. We also found out that no one has ever gotten married on the stage before so it would be a first for them too. I was a little bit excited about the possibility of having people in red velvet theater seating and the epic-ness of the inside of the theater and I could totally see the outside working better too. We decided to talk about it on the drive home and sleep on it.

Today we decided that it was a good idea and a great price so we told Stacys dad and booked the date. Done and done.

But that isn't why I started this blog. I started this blog because I decided that it would be important to at least start our budget tonight when I got home from work. Stacy and I looked at our wedding book, The Knot Book Of Wedding Lists, and staring back at me in the reception part of the budget breakdown was tableware, flatware, and glassware. I asked out loud, "what is flatware?" Stacy said, "Like, dishes and glasses and stuff..." I responded, "What is glassware then?" Touche.

I did a google search and everything! I can't find the difference between those things at all. So I finally got frustrated and googled "What the fuck is tableware."

I am a dude. I don't understand a lot of this stuff. And I am a dude who wears a solid black tshirt and the same jeans almost everyday. I don't know a lot about fancy things and know almost nothing about wedding stuff. I have been to maybe a handful of weddings but not every many and none that I have taken notes on or thought, "Gee, I wonder where they got there tableware?".

I know I am going to learn a lot over the next year and I though it would good to keep record of it. I am excited about writing about all this stuff and hope that maybe it could be somewhat helpful for other dudes in the same situation.

So thats it for tonight. We barely got the budget started so I am hoping to do that tomorrow night after my band practices. Till then...

4 comments:

  1. I hope I don't lose dude points for this.

    Tableware is anything on the table.
    Flatware is a tableware that is flat - basically spoons, knives, forks, plates, etc.
    Glassware is tableware that is glass - glasses, vases, etc

    There's also like serveware, holloware, and other made up words for fancy people to distinguish themselves and their 12 different forks.

    hearts,
    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wes, I don't know if you can be in the wedding party anymore...

    So it's all the same shit? Plates, glasses, silverware, and napkins?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dammit! Lost dude points.
    Yeah, tableware is just the general term for all that stuff.

    And now you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris
    Tableware is as Wes said, "all that stuff"
    Think of it like this. Tableware is like dressing a woman. The tablecloth is the slip, the plates and glasses and silverware are the clothes, all the rest of the stuff are the accesories. The main thing to remember is you want your dressed table/woman to look hot, glamorious and pretty in________________ (fill in the color and style:) It is very important to the Bride and the apperance of the room takes some peoples breath away. Maybe not as many dudes as dudets. Attending a wedding for me is a great reason to get all dressed up and feel like like I'm at a prom which by the way I never went to a prom and my first wedding was a shotgun Viva Las Vegas on the strip thing. The only thing tackier than that is if Elvis performed the ceremony at a drivethur. See a woman always remembers her wedding day. Love Ya.
    and that son is "Fuckin Tableware"

    ReplyDelete